High Intensity Training
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) describes any workout that alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less-intense activity or even complete rest. For example, a good starter workout is running as fast as you can for 1 minute and then walking for 2 minutes. Repeat that 3-minute interval five times for a 15-minute, fat-blasting workout. It sounds too simple to be effective, but science doesn’t stretch the truth.
Most people aren’t used to pushing into the anaerobic zone (that lovely place where you can’t breathe and you feel like your heart is trying to jump out of your chest). But in this case, extreme training produces extreme results. One 2006 study found that after 8 weeks of doing HIIT workouts, subjects could bicycle twice as long as they could before the study, while maintaining the same pace.
Anyone who has been on a diet knows that it’s hard to not lose muscle mass along with fat. While steady state cardio seems to encourage muscle loss, studies show that both weight training and HIIT workouts allow dieters to preserve their hard-earned muscles while ensuring most of the weight lost comes from fat stores. Win/win!
Cheshire Fitness Club offers several high intensity cardio fitness classes including:
- Cardio Blast: This is a high intensity workout including easy-to-follow dance moves, cardio kickboxing and interval training. This class is set to the latest and greatest workout music that will keep you smiling, sweating and burning fat.
- C.S.I. (Cardio, Strength Intervals): Workout that alternates basic cardio conditioning with sets of resistance training exercises for all your major muscle groups. Cardio (cycle), Core strengthening and stretching concludes the class.
- Cardio/Strength HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training): This is a high energy class that gives you a total body, aerobic and strength conditioning workout. It combines intervals of maximum effort followed by a recovery period. We combine full-body strength training with high intensity cardio bursts designed to tone your body and improve your endurance.
- Insanity: A 30 minute cardio-based total body conditioning program that is based on the principles of MAX interval training. Modifications are available for all fitness levels. Get in and get it done!
- Max Strength: This 55 minute resistance band and dumbbell program strengthens your major muscles in a motivating group environment with fantastic music and simple athletic movements. Step Combo—Class will include warm up, stretch, cardio portion: step low/high impact mix or dance moves, resistance training, core work for abs and back and cool down stretch. Instructors’ choice is to diversify the cardio portion of class.
- Step Combo: Class will include warmup, stretch, cardio portion; step low/high impact mix or dance moves, resistance training, core work for abs and back and cool down stretch. Instructors’ choice is to diversify the cardio portion of the class.
- Tabata / Core: This class is divided into two half hour blocks. The Tabata training is a type of high intensity training using bursts of high intensity exercise followed by a brief rest period. The core exercises include stretching, relaxing muscle groups and strengthening the core using exercises based on Pilates.
- Turbo Kick: Combines cardio kickboxing and body-sculpting dance moves choreographed to the hottest music mixes. You’ll get lean and toned-and have a blast doing it. It’s high intensity, fast-paced, and totally addictive!
Bios of our wonderful Instructors
Erica Joy Griffin
My name is Erica Griffin and I have been teaching fitness classes at Cheshire since 12012. I teach variety of classes including tabata, spin, max strength and occasionally turbo kick. I love the variety of the workouts. Spin and turbo kick are focused on higher intensity cardio. Max Strength focuses more on the weight lifting aspect of exercise, and tabata is an interval class that combines them both.
The thing I love about teaching at Cheshire is the people. Coming to work is like coming to a friend’s home. We work hard together, we find options for different ways to do exercises, and every fitness level is welcome. I live in Black Mountain with my husband Hayne and our two kids. Cheshire is a wonderful community in our town that I am privileged to be a part of and I am very thankful.
Phoebe has been a member at Cheshire Fitness Club for 12 years and teaches high intensity spin classes. After visiting other gyms she feels blessed to be part of a team at such a beautiful facility that welcomes everyone. Phoebe loves teaching fast paced spin classes with fun music. You’ll have a sweaty good time in her classes and the time will absolutely fly by! She lives in Swannanoa with her husband Kevin and son Luke.
Julie Harrison has been a Group Fitness instructor for 17 years. Her passion is health and fitness and her greatest desire is to help others to live a healthy and strong life for as many years as possible. Julie’s goal is to give you a workout that is entertaining and challenging, but above all, one that makes you want to come back for more! She is a native to Black Mountain, married to Seth, and mother to 2 teenage boys and a 9 year old daughter.
Jen Marsh has been in and out of the fitness world for the last 20 years. She is certified in Insanity and as a Group Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer. She loves challenging her classes, but also creating an atmosphere of fun and acceptance so that everyone feels comfortable joining and modifying to fit their needs. She has lived in Black Mountain for 13 years with her husband Andrew, son Tucker and dog Abbey.
Amie grew up in Black Mountain. She attended Owen High School and then went on to get a business degree in Marketing and Hospitality Management at Appalachian State. Married to her college sweet heart Chuck, they have 2 girls Lanie and Luice. The girls will be in the 7th and 5th grade this year at Asheville Christian Academy. Amie is a Clinical Liaison for Indivior, a specialty pharmaceutical company that focuses on addiction.
Amie has always had a passion for sports and working out. It has always been apart of her life and she feels very strongly about being healthy. Amie is a people person and loves encouraging others. She loves the members and the community that Cheshire has. She has been teaching at Cheshire for the past 8 years. She currently teaches max strength and Tabata at the gym.
Mary Beth Tanner
I grew up dancing and have my Bachelors degree in Dance Education. I have taught classes at Cheshire Fitness for 7 years. I currently teach Step, Dancenergy, Sit to be Fit, and CSI.
I try to incorporate fun into my workouts and I strive to get an overall toning in each class. I live in Black Mountain with my husband, my two sons, and our dog
Jen has been involved in the fitness world for twenty years, as both a participant and instructor. She has been a member and instructor at Cheshire on and off for the past eleven years. Currently she regularly teaches water aerobics, a spin/step combo class, and a class for 5-10 year old kids.
She enjoys providing high intensity workouts, even in the water, but recognizes that modifications need to be shown, as everyone has different abilities and physical needs. Jen’s interests outside of fitness include occupational therapy, which is currently the career she is pursuing by furthering her education. She brings this knowledge of proper body mechanics to her classes. Jen has lived in Black Mountain for fifteen years, and enjoys life with her four year old daughter.
Credits: Shape Magazine
Photos: Gina Palermo MacFarland